This stamp commemorates the short-lived rail link between Scott Depot and Fraziers Bottom along the south side of the Poca River.
In 1836 Mr. Farley Foley, who resided in the area that is now known as Scott Depot on the Poca, became interested in the steam engine. In due time his interest turned to steam locomotives, and he decided to construct a rail link between what is now called Scott Depot and Fraziers Bottom. Mr. Foley invested his considerable holdings in the acquisition of land and the construction of the rail line. The project soon came to be known as Farley Foleys Folly.
Undaunted, Mr. Foley was finally able to sell the last of his familys holdings and purchase a steam locomotive with tender in the spring of 1842. Mr. Winfield Scott, a hero of the War of 1812, had become Foleys only investor, and the rail head came to be called Scott Depot. Foley failed to attract additional investors, since there seemed little interest in travel between the Scott Depot and Fraziers Bottom. As a result, Foley was never able to purchase passenger cars.
The entire project collapsed in the fall of 1846, and Farley Foley sold the steam engine and tender to a coal company. The engine was put into use by the Coal River Coal and Coke Company, and remained in use until 1897, when it was retired. It can be found, to this day, in a narrow hollow just north of Cheleyan, West Virginia.
The stamp is issued in a pane of 15 stamps in the denomination of 94