This stamp was issued by the Poca Post to honor the official Poca River bird: the pigeon.
In 1802 Mr. Montgomery R. Stockon, who lived in the area that now is the site of Pliny, West Virginia, decided to introduce a new game bird to the area. He ordered two pairs of doves from England. An unscrupulous bird dealer sent him, instead, four rock pigeons. Upon receipt of the birds, Mr. Stockton realized the ruse, and, in disgust, released the birds.
They thrived in the area. Within four years they had spread across the entire Poca River Basin. By 1818 the species was sighted in Cincinnati and Cleveland. By 1840 the birds had begun to populate cities on the east coast. Due to the growth of the railroad system, they spread to the west coast in a short time. Since that time, the Columba Livia developed a very large population in the United States. In 1893, the bird, sometimes called Stockton's Dove, was named the official bird of the Poca River.
This stamp was issued in the denomination of 39 pu (Poca Units) in a pane of 24 stamps.